Thursday, September 4, 2008

Gypsy Souls and Giggling Babes




Gypsy Souls and Giggling Babes

I wanted to be a traveling gypsy. I wanted a colorful bus, with a few good books, a journal, and simple clothes and friends packed inside. I wanted to see the world, eat croissants in Paris, Pasta and heirloom tomatoes in Italy, climb mountains, raft through canyons, walk along the green rolling hills in Ireland and ride horses in a wild places such as Montana and Wyoming. I wanted to save the earth, the world, my family, and everything living thing I came in contact with. I can close my eyes even now and breathe in all of the glorious smells and sounds of the places I dreamt of. Some where along the road I turned and took the path most traveled. I found the best smell of all...the spot just under my babies necks. That beautiful and unique smell that no one can recreate. The very best noise being the sound of my children learning to giggle and learning that they too have a voice of their own and the right to dream their own unique dream for themselves. That is better than any green grass on the other side of a fence. Life is short, but it can also be long, God willing I can go all of those places later, I am enjoying it right where I am...at home with my children loving my husband.

I spent eight weeks of this summer in Colorado with my husband Wes and daughter Morgan in an RV. When you are used to your space, sharing a 28 ft. RV with a large man and a newborn baby are are true test of love...and boy do I love him. I was happy to leave my home and embark on an adventure in a beautiful place. I thought I would go there and explore and fall in love with a new place and all of the nature surrounding me. The pretty stuff was at least an hours drive away and while Wes did take me on many fabulous adventures, what I fell in love with was being his wife and the mother of his child. I saw how tired he was at days end and how much he put his heart in his work and best of all his family. He worked 10 hour shifts, 200 plus feet in the air, in the heat of another 107 degree day, while I felt sorry for my self in a warm trailer. I could never do the things he does. I am so grateful that he does this day in and day out so that I can finally be at home with our children. God has truly blessed me...now if I could only remember that when he isn't listening to me during a football game or leaves the lid up.

I have a million more things to say about our trip, my children, my life, and my faith...but right now my daughter is ready to giggle.

No comments: