Tuesday, October 21, 2008

That really sticks in my craw!!!

Hehe! I have always wanted to say that.

To do: Get Groceries, go to park to meet Mom’s, have lunch with Mommaloo.
Did me in: Get Groceries

So this morning I actually make an effort to shower and get dressed as I am excited about my day. I dropped Hunter Bear off at school and headed off to Wal-mart. (Cue the Leave it to Beaver music in the back ground) I arrive and load the cart with Morgan in her carrier, coupons, grocery list, my sling, and my purse (contents overflowing). Now how on earth do I fit all my groceries? I shop carefully, comparing prices and matching coupons to products. Money is tight for everyone right? I hadn’t shopped in three weeks as I wanted to use up what was in the house before it expired. So I pushed my carefully overloaded heaping cart through the store and Morgan wakes and begins to cry. Have no fear Super Mom is here! But wait, what do I see….buggers! (Leave it to Beaver music comes to screeching halt!) Not just in her nose but her eyes are beginning to get a little matted. So I grab my trusty sling and strap her to my hip where she will probably rub her buggers on my cute clean shirt because if I touch her nose now she will scream from this point on. I finish shopping (not really but my cart was too heavy for me to push alone) and look for a short line…it is Wal-mart, they have twenty plus registers, and ONLY FOUR are lit up and all are full of carts loaded to the top similar to mine. For crying out loud, it is Tuesday morning, don’t you people work!? Murphy’s Law or some cruel joke, I get the slowest cashier possible. The cashier was totally immune to Morgan crying while I rocked from one foot to the other and bouncing up and down saying, “its okay, Mommies trying to hurry.” Then I notice wait, where is the bread, where are my tomatoes? She had loaded them in the bottom of the cart…UNDER THE CANS! So while I am moving them to a second cart and trying desperately to sooth Morgan while rescuing my groceries, she begins to tell me how sick she is and how she isn’t feeling very well. OMG!!! She just touched every single thing I bought and probably didn’t even wash her hands either. So I reach for the coupons and realize that half my stack is gone. Couldn’t some of the total strangers who insisted on reaching into my sling to touch my baby (they probably didn’t wash their hands either) have mentioned the Hansel & Gretel trail of coupons I had lost? So I spent $279.00 of my husbands hard earned money, half of which was wasted on squished produce, and ask for assistance in taking my two carts to the truck…I wait, and wait, Morgan cries, and cries, my food is melting and melting, and seven minutes later HE appears. I am looking around for a camera crew because surly I am on candid camera. Bless his heart, HE was mentally handicapped, and I wanted to cry at this point. Why you ask? Partly because I wanted to lean over and give him a hug for being so darn happy and partly because not only did he walk as slow as a toddler, he also had to stop and say hello to every single person he knew that we passed from line to the truck while announcing to me how he knew each of them. Do you have any idea how many people you pass on your way to your vehicle? I do. While loading my groceries in the truck I realize it is ten and my Mom’s group is already at the park reading fabulous books and smiling at their babies. While unloading my truck I realize that I now smell like my son does after a football game. I called my friend and cancelled lunch.
So the question is where do you shop? What is the cheapest and most baby friendly grocery store? What about customer service and product availability?
Thank you God for my many blessings. Thank you God for the patience of those Mommies juggling more than one baby on their hip while they go through what I did? Thank you God for not allowing me the strength to ring the ever loving necks of the people at Wal-Mart. Thank you God that miraculously I didn't say any bad words all morning. Thank you God that I was a big girl and didn't cry when I accidentally deleted this and had to re-type the whole thing...It was funnier the second time around.



3 comments:

Mommaloo said...

OK, I sooooo completely laughed out loud at the last sentence...it was definitely time for a nap for you and sweet Morgan.

Onto your question...cheap and baby friendly DO NOT go hand in hand. But then again, you already knew the answer to that because...well you went to Walmart.

I'm stubborn enough that I'll pay more and go to two stores, all so i don't have to tempt fate and trudge thru walmart.

Hope the afternoon is better.

Ruth said...

I was going to say the same thing about how you went to Wal-Mart!

You should re-schedule lunch into a wine dinner after all you have been through today!

And, don't you HATE it when you actually shower and wash your hair, only to. do. nothing. ??!!

Mommaloo said...

It's terrible...but i'm still laughing today about this one. I love you!